Casale acquired Borealis’ HP melamine technology in 2013 as part of a strategic plan aiming at strengthening the offer of core technologies and know-how with a new product that has strong synergy with the company's current product portfolio and market base.
Melamine is a chemical made directly from urea, which finds application in high end plastic products such as molding compounds, decorative laminates, adhesives for the woodwork industry, coating resins, concrete plasticizers and resins for paper finishing.
Furthermore, the Off-Gases generated in the melamine plant can be recycled back to the urea plant where they will be converted again into urea thus making a melamine plant perfectly integrated within a fertilizer complex.
Casale, also a world leader in the urea field, is the only licensor worldwide with demonstrated capability to realize a smooth and effective integration between a melamine and urea plant as well as to debottleneck the urea plant in view of minimizing the impact of the melamine off-gases or increase the production.
Melamine offers urea producers a very interesting business opportunity to diversify by extending the nitrogen value chain, starting from hydrocarbons, with a new product having a strong market growth potential. In Casale's LEM™ (Low Energy Melamine) process, urea is converted directly into melamine at high pressure and without the use of any catalyst, unlike melamine processes which are operated at lower pressure.
The Differentiating features of Casale LEM™ process are the following:
- Less energy (steam and gas) consumption
- Less Green House Gases (CO2)
- Heat of condensation recovery
Melamine conversion efficiency
- Reduced feedstock cost for melamine production
- Frees up additional urea volumes for sales
- Reduced energy demand for reprocessing of off-gas into urea
Urea yield from Off-Gas
- Water free off-gas as additional feedstock for urea production (“debottlenecking effect”)
- Off-gas available at much higher pressure and temperature
- Simple integration of off-gas stream into high pressure section of urea plant
Casale offers and extensive range of services, from the realization of feasibility studies up to project contracting on turn-key basis.